chibisaurus

Monday, December 17, 2012

Cosplay Showcase: Jen as Sailor Uranus

Woo! I'm excited for this cosplay showcase! It's my friend Jen as Sailor Uranus! If you don't know who Jen is, read her Cosplayer Interview here. She's a super awesome cosplayer!

When I asked her which cosplay she wanted to showcase, she said that I could pick. So I picked Uranus! Cus she makes such an awesome one! I think she portrays Uranus so well. Not just the costume but the character and everything. And.... I'm not going to lie... I wanted a little insight on how she made this one. I am rebuilding my Sailor Moon cosplay, as you may know, and it wouldn't hurt to get some pointers.



So let's begin!

Jen as Sailor Uranus (Sailor Moon)


Looking like she's about to kick some ass.
Why did you chose this character to cosplay. Why did you chose it for the showcase?

I didn't really choose it, Edward did.  XD But seriously, it is a culmination of a lot of years of experience and work (I made this technically at the same time as Sailor Pluto, but went with this one because I'm still not completely happy with Pluto's wig and my skin tone...). I did a really crap-tacular Sailor Moon in college (complete with colored paper brooch and old shirts cut into a collar and bows!!) and someday wanted to re-do a sailor senshi, only awesome. It took a lot of time to build my confidence up, maybe about eight years. My friends and I did a Sailor Moon group at Sakuracon, and since I'm so tall, doing an inner scout seemed a little silly. Uranus isn't one of my favorite senshi at first, but she's grown on me. It's also really fun to walk around with a Neptune.  ^_^  

I've found Uranus to be strong, capable, and utter committed to her cause. Strong and beautiful, but not overly frilly. Motorcycles, running, flirting, all that fun stuff. I'm not a fan of cross-dressing (but I have for Haruka before), but Uranus as a senshi is pretty darn awesome.  



What was your construction process?

I actually had to invent a pattern for this. I used the green pepper skating outfit as a base, then completely changed it.  XD I added a back, came up with a bra/armor portion, changed the leg lines and skirt line, invented the sleeves and changed the neckline completely. The bra armor portion is stretchy quilt batting in between two layers of white swimwear fabric. I made the bra portion the same size as I am, as to give some bulk when wearing. The rest of the suit is approximately 90% of my measurements. I  used two layers of fabric for the body and panties, since they were a little too thin.  The best part about the leotard is that the collar, skirt, and bows are interchangeable. They are all held on with snaps, and the bows with one big snap each. I use the same white leotard for Sailor Uranus, Super Sailor Uranus, and Sailor Pluto.  (the sleeves are just hand-stitched on, and can be swapped easily)   I eventually plan to make a Sailor Venus, ignoring that I'm taller than most other cosplayers.  ;)
The boots are actually heels I found at a thrift store, and covered with the same fabric I used for the skirt and collar.  I installed zippers in the sides to ease putting on and taking off.  

The skirt is approximately 3x my hip measurement, box pleated in the middle, and pleated in opposite directions on each side. I ironed the pleats to keep the sharp look of the anime. The skirt is only straight at the top, but is heavily angled at the bottom to hit the right lengths in front, on the sides, and in the back (more specifically to cover important things in front, cover my buns, and hike up a bit on the sides).

After much research, I found that perfect sailor senshi gems do not exist... so I made my own. I researched an experimented with clear resin plastic casting, and investing the time and money into learning this particular art. I've learned about moulds, sculpting, casting in general, and coloring.  The time spent was well worth it, resulting in very unique and beautiful gems.  My tiaras are all made from brass sheets.

The things you love about this cosplay.

I love cosplaying kick-butt female characters, and Uranus is definitely one of them!  It's a fun, flirty costume that is comfortable, cool (temperature wise), and one I don't have to worry about the wig getting tangled or caught in anything.  ;)  I really like wearing little short skirts.  XD


She made the Neptune Cosplay too.
The things you hate.

The only part of the costume that is not comfortable is the shoes... they're nicely pointed like they are in the show, but they hurt my toes.  >.<  During that first con, I wore them all day for two consecutive days in a row and two of my toes were numb for a month afterwards...  Needless to say I don't wear them for long periods anymore.  

I also dislike wearing gloves for costumes.  

A general closing statement and where one might find more pictures of this and other cosplays you’ve done.

All in all, I'm very pleased with how this costume turned out. It was interesting (and frustrating!) to make, and really fun to wear. Thus far, I've had four different people cosplay as my Neptune, and they are all wonderful in their own ways. Half the fun of this costume is having a dedicated partner... at least for a day.  ;)


And a silly/awesome one.



She's so awesome. *gushes* I'm glad I chose her for my first guest cosplayer! I hope with lots of time and practice, I'll be as awesome as her one day.



Anywho! I hope you all enjoyed learning about my friend Jen! Next month I will do an interview and showcase with another one of my friends! Look forward to it!

Love,

Edward

No comments:

Post a Comment