chibisaurus

Monday, December 10, 2012

Cosplayer Interview!: Jen



So I'm really excited about our first REAL cosplay interview. Mine hardly counts. XD Today it is my friend Jen! I met her in 2012, I believe, at Anime Oasis. I have SO much respect for her and her cosplays. She is so amazing! Her sewing skills are spectacular! I hope to one day be her equal. Until then, I will stand close to her, hoping that some of her awesome will leak onto me.


On with the show!


Your name or Cosplay Name:

Jen Glauser (Jenphi)

Photo by Jake Price


Age:

Older than you. XD

How long have you been cosplaying?:

Since 1999.  At anime cons, since 2002.

What was your first cosplay?

Sailor Moon.  ^_^

Do you make your cosplays, buy them pre-made online, or have them commissioned?: 

I make everything myself.  As much as I can.  ;)

Why do you cosplay?:

I like creating things.  I like dressing up.  I like pretending I'm some kick-butt gorgeous chick who does awesome, powerful things on a regular basis.  ^_^  I've always loved Halloween, and this is a natural extension.

What is you favorite part about cosplay?:

Meeting new people, talking "shop", and pictures. :D

What is your least favorite part?:

Drama and jealousy.  Sometimes competitions.

Who is your favorite character to cosplay?:

There are so many!  Most of the characters I cosplay are my favorites from that particular series... It's so hard to choose.  Saber and Moka are some favorites... and Sailor Uranus when I have a good Neptune around.  ;)

Moka from "Rosario+Vampire"
Photo by Tim Boothby


What is your favorite cosplay to wear?:

Black Widow.  So far the comfiest costume to date!  ^_^

What is your least favorite cosplay to wear?:

Right now it's Sophitia from SC2 since I've changed sizes since then... and the shoes are still uncomfortable... 

What was the most complicated cosplay you’ve worked on?

That's a toss up between Rogue and Black Widow... They both have bodysuits that were complicated in their own way... though Black Widow has a bunch of extra straps and holders and casting... so yeah, Black Widow.  

What was the least complicated?

Clearbrook.  So easy... and so comfy!

Clearbrook from "ElfQuest"


What group cosplays have you been a part of?:

Fate/Stay Night, Sailor Moon, ElfQuest, Star Trek: ToS, My Little Pony, Slayers, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Marvel characters


Wonder Woman

What group cosplays would like to be part of?:

Disney Princesses, another FF group, maybe Avatar...  

Who are some characters you plan to cosplay in the future?

Oscar from Rose of Versailles, Storm from X-Men, Catwoman, Utena, Teresa from Claymore, Devil Belldandy... etc..  There's a long list.

What crossplay characters have you done or would like to do?

I've done Taiki (in the business suit) from Sailor Moon, and I crossdress for Haruka (Sailor Uranus) from time to time, but I don't like to cross-play all that much.  I don't make a very convincing guy.  

Sailor Uranus from "Sailor Moon"

Who is a character people say you should cosplay, but you aren’t sure about?:

I get that quite a bit. Either "You should cosplay [tall, but kinda boring character that matches our group]" or "You totally need to dress as [mostly naked female character]."  Yeah... I like to be dressed.  XD  I also like to cosplay characters I have some sort of connection to. I need to identify with that character somehow. Either I like how they act, I admire them in some way, etc.  I can't really justify dressing as a character just because they're pretty.  (Though I've been tempted to do a character from Lineage 2, even though I've never played!! )

What is your dream cosplay?:

A WoW cosplay.  Either my hunter or Tyrande.  Sooooo much detail... I don't know if I'll have the time while my kids are still at home during the day.  Oh!  I'd also love to do something with giant wings!  

What is a cosplay you would love to do, but don’t feel you could pull off?:

I'd love to do Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War, but I never have because I'm six feet tall.  I feel kind of weird. Maybe someday I'll get over my hangup, but so far, not quite.

In your opinion, what makes a great cosplay?:

Attention to detail, making the characters' costume fit you as a real person, and getting into character.  Nice photography is helpful, but doesn't make a mediocre costume great.

At which conventions are we likely to see you?:

I go to the ones in Idaho and I attend Sakura-con as often as I'm able.  I love Kumoricon, too, but haven't been back in years.  I hope to fix that.

Any advice to other cosplayers?

If you love it, keep doing it.  Ask people how they do things.  Experiment and keep a crafting notebook where you record your successes or failures.  It will save you time later so you don't have to re-invent a process!!

What are some other hobbies you have, other than cosplaying?:

I roleplay, play video games, and read. I have other hobbies, but don't do those so much anymore.  Most of my hobbies related to cosplay somehow (sewing, leatherworking,  resin casting,  sculpting, sketching, etc).

Favorite anime/tv shows?:

I love Fate/Stay night.  Sailor Moon and Rose of Versailles are also great.  

Favorite movie?:

I love The Last Unicorn and Ladyhawke.  Also the new Avengers movie and most of the superhero movies (Batman, X-men, etc).

Favorite books/manga?:

I'm an avid collector of Ah! My Goddess! and anything by Kaoru Mori (Emma, Bride's Story, Shirley).  I love the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede.  

Favorite video games?:

WoW and Batman (Arkham Asylum/City).

Favorite color?: 

Green and Purple.

Favorite food?:

Chocolate and Sushi.

Favorite desert?:

More chocolate (maybe that crazy chocolate cake from the Cheesecake Factory... mmm).

Favorite curse word?

Crappyolios.  

What are some websites where we can see more of you?

Silvercheetah.net but I don't update that much.  It sort of has a blog.  A little.  If you're lucky to know me in person you can see my personal facebook page, otherwise you'll have to be content with my cosplay page, Silver Cheetah Designs.



*Is taking notes* Oh! There she was! Our first real "guest" cosplayer! And she's a good one! I hope you all think she's as awesome as I do. Next week I will do a Cosplay Showcase all about one of her cosplays! I think I'll keep it a surprise for now, hehehe.


But anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this cosplay interview! I'm finally DONE talking about myself for a while. Come back next week for Jen's Cosplay Showcase!



Love,
Edward

2 comments: