chibisaurus

Monday, November 19, 2012

Cosplay Showcase: Princess Serenity

Cosplay Showcase time!!!

I'm excited! Are you excited?! Here we go!

So I decided to showcase Princess Serenity (Sailor Moon) today! Because, even though it's not my favorite, it's pretty good, and the photos are pretty. I wanted to do Tyleet from Elfquest, because those are my favorite photos, but not many people know what that is (You should though. Go to Elfquest.com to read the whole series for FREE!). And I also wanted to debut with Sailor Moon, but the costume I have done for her isn't perfect, so I'll wait until I have it redone. So I thought, the next best thing to Sailor Moon is Serenity. So, that's what ya get!

Obviously not my work. It belongs to Naoko Takeuchi and Kodansha.

Swish!!

Now, this is the part where I say a lil' somethin' about the cosplay. The making process, why I chose it, yadda yadda.

I actually made this cosplay for a group. Serenity hadn't been high on my list, though she was on there. Actually, nearly all incarnations of Sailor Moon are on the list (except Eternal Sailor Moon. Those dopey pink sleeves piss me off). And if it had been my choice, I would have chose the anime version instead of the manga version. Only because I didn't know how to make those arm cuffy/sleevy thingies.  (We'll talk about those in a minute ) But it wasn't my choice, so I did what I was told.

All majestic and shit XD

The actual dress was very easy. I found the PERFECT pattern, so I didn't have to make one myself. The dress material is crepe back satin and the sheer stuff is something I found in the bridal section. I forget what it is. The circles are white cord hot glued onto circles of crepe back satin. The pearls are hand sewed on individually and so was the ribbon on the bodice. I forgot to wear the little hair barrets and bracelet in these photos, but I did make those too.

Princess Pose

The back bow, which you can't really see in these photos, turned out PERFECT! It's my favorite part of the whole dress! The trails hang just how I wanted them to and the bow stands up all pretty! It's so lovely!

Now onto the bits I had trouble with... Those accursed arm things! Gah! It took me WEEKS to figure out how to make them. (And only a day to ACTUALLY make them) And I still only feel so so about them. I mean, have you looked at the ones from the manga? They are perfectly round. If I made them perfectly round around my arm they'd look retarded! And what the hell are they made out of anyway?!?! Curse you Naoko Takeuchi!

Anywho... I finally decided to make them out of craft foam. Because I don't have fancy things to make molded plastic/resin ones. Maybe someday I'll make some fancier ones. But for now, these will do. They turned out all right, I think.

The other problem with this dress is... it has no straps! I've seen girls use the clear plastic straps.... but I just wanted it to be as accurate as possible. So I made it pretty tight and I tried using that hollywood tape stuff.... Let me just tell you.... THAT STUFF IS CRAP! It didn't stay put at all! I still had to constantly pull it up! I'm sure if you were sticking something on you that didn't weigh much, it would probably do just fine. But that dress is pretty heavy (lining, crepe back satin, sheer overdress and all the doodads on the bodice) and that stuff didn't work at all. I'll tell you what did work though. Toupee tape! Man, that stuff is robust! After I put that on, that dress was going no where! I did the YMCA and never had to pull my dress up once! I even had trouble getting it off at the end of the night! In fact... I think there is still some stuck to that dress. So, remember! Toupee tape is what you want!

I hate that wig!!!!

The other thing I didn't like..... THAT WIG! GAAR! I hate it! It was so poorly made! You could very obviously see the wig cap through the hair (which was yellow, and very obvious with the white hairs). And the hairs fell out like crazy! Sadly, I didn't realize this until it was too late to ship it back. I did get some of my money back though... It's also too tight for my head. All in all, it's the most horrible/uncomfortable wig ever. I thought my Sailor Moon one was bad.

The dango turned out ok though. Even though a few hairs like to stick out all crazy. Someday I'll get a new wig and it won't be complete crap.

Looking lovely. Cus, ya know, that's what princesses do.

So in a nut shell, this cosplay is terribly uncomfortable and annoying, but it's purdy. And that's what counts right? We must suffer for our art, I suppose. I thought Sailor Moon was uncomfortable. But now, putting on Sailor Moon after wearing this, is like a dream! Ah well.

One more

And I'll leave you with that last image. I always have a series of "derp" photos. Because cosplay can't be serious all the time. And one shouldn't take ones self so seriously.One day I'll do a "Derp Showcase." XD

If you want to see more pics of this cosplay, head over to my DeviantArt page here.


There is was! Cosplay Showcase! Hooray!Ok, so I'm done talking about myself for a bit (Other than updates and stuff. I can't go cold turkey XD). Next month I will showcase my friend Jen! She is a super awesome cosplayer that I know from my local cons. I look up to her so much! And often try to suck up all her knowledge! So look forward to that!

Oh yeah, and I hope everyone has a happy Turkey Day!! I know I will, because, if you don't recall from my interview, I LOVE TURKEY AND MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY! Gah! I will be so fat and happy.
What a glorious day it will be.

Oh yes, and all these photos were taken by my brother in law Morgan Wells. He's super duper amazing!

See you next week!


<3 Edward

No comments:

Post a Comment