chibisaurus

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cosplay Showcase: Eric Smart's Steampunk OC Lewis Mycroft

*Me last night at 2am*OH CRAP! I forgot to post my blog!! 

Ok, so that's what happened. What did I do while I should have been writing my blog? I watched my husband play "Batman: Arkham City" all day.



So anywho! Today is Eric's cosplay showcase! Woo! It's pretty sweet!

Cosplay Showcase: Steampunk OC Lewis Mycroft



Why did you chose this character/prop to make? Why did you chose it for the showcase?

This is an OC (original character) of mine. My friends and I want to do a steampunk assassin group, my character has two sides in our 'world'. Behind the scene he is the chemist for the assassin group, known as Lewis Mycroft the Third. Well I wanted a cool field version of him, one that goes out on the assassinations when need be. I've always had an appreciation for Tesla coils so I wanted to incorporate one somehow. After tons of designs and concept sketches I finally came up with what you see before you. Agent 713, as he calls himself while in the field, he is sent in rather to capture people they need alive, taser them basically, or if things go wrong jump in, crank up the power and help his partners out.
I wanted to showcase it because it combines a lot of my talents into one project. First off this is straight out of my head so it shows off my imagination. I also used my skills with wood and leather on the majority of this project. I also learned a new skill while working on this project, copper beveling.



What was your construction process? 

Well, where as this was a prop for an original character of mine I guess the first thing was figuring out what it looked like. Originally it was going to be more like a large canon type thing but eventually it came down to something that would provide maneuverability and attack. The first physical thing that I tackled was the most time tedious, wrapping the wires on the Tesla Coil shafts. After that it was a matter of wrapping the secondary wire (not nearly as hard) and mounting them into their base.
The next two parts happened around the same time. At the shop I started construction on the control box (the box mounted to the belt that goes around my waist) and at home I started work on the leather cuffs. The key elements to the control box were adding the power gauge, which I found at Rusty Retro Antiques, and the control switch, which I had. Yeah for being a pack rat! I cut out the leather for the cuffs and tooled it. The pattern that I chose was one I created based off a Tesla Coil schematic.
After the cuffs were done the Tesla Coil base was mounted to them. Then at this point it was connecting all of the pieces together with hoses. The last piece of the puzzle was the Leyden jar. It was a modified plastic tube where I built a new wood topper with a quark center. Like a regular Leyden jar it is wrapped both inside and out with aluminum half way up it. Then I made the thin leather sheath for it and mounted it to the control box.





The things you love about this cosplay/prop.

Well one fact that I love about it is that it is a creation straight from my mind. My imagination created this and I was able to bring it to life. I also love the look of it and how it looks on me. Not to sound vain, I just mean I really like how all the elements came together to form an interesting device.



The things you hate.

The Tesla coils stick out past my hands. I designed them this way because if he were in a fight he would have that added distance to jab at his enemy also it would keep him from shocking himself. The only problem with this is that it makes some tasks very difficult or hazardous. The first time I wore them I got a call from my wife. When I answered the phone and went to place it to my ear and I smacked myself with the coil. So if anything that would probably be the 'hate' factor on this prop but again the deign has a set and very logical reasoning. So basically it's the way it is and I just need to learn how to answer my phone with them on (and other tasks).



A general closing statement and where one might find more pictures of this and other cosplays you’ve done.

Steampunk is something that I will always love creating for. I love prop building in general don't get me wrong but steampunk just lets my imagination run wild to create and have fun. This is just one example of the fun I have with steampunk.


Other places you can find more would be:




How neat!!  I love original character designs and I also like steampunk! A steampunk taser, that's pretty clever! I like when someone does something other than a steampunk mechanic or something. Lol. I like all the intricate designs in this one. So awesome!

So, this weekend I'm going to Fandemonium, so next week will be a convention review! Woo! Though it will be late since I'll be driving home on Monday. So expect a post Tuesday or possibly Wednesday, depending on how pooped I am.

Also, I'm going to do some changes with my blog. But I'll let you guys all know about that next week.

I hope I see you at the con! Here is my cosplay schedule, so if you see me, come say hi! I'll be looking for folks to do more interviews with, so if you would like to be interviewed, come see me! I'm friendly I promise! I've heard that sometimes people are afraid to approach me and are intimidated by me?!? I have never seen myself as scary or intimidating, so please don't be scared! I am quite friendly, I assure you. If in doubt, you could always offer me chocolate. Haha, not really (unless you really want to give me chocolate and then that would be awesome. ((You don't really have to. (((But I love dark chocolate)))) Ok, I'm done. XD

Friday: Sailor Moon
Saturday: Morning- Peacebow OC / Afternoon- Briar Rose
Sunday- Alice

Ok! See you there!

~Edward


(Seriously though, you don't have to give me chocolate. XD)

1 comment: