chibisaurus

Monday, February 25, 2013

Cospalyer Interview: Tanglwyst de Holloway



This week is Cosplayer Interview time with my friend Tanglwyst! Many of you guys may know her from the convention scene. She does lots of panels on costuming and she runs the cosplay repair shop at the local cons. Her work is exquisite! She is most known for her beautiful period pieces that she's done for herself and many other convention goers. I hope you all enjoy her cosplayer interview!




Your name or Cosplay Name:

Tanglwyst de Holloway


Age: 47

How long have you been cosplaying?:

Tough question. I believe since 1988, when I joined the SCA. Though not the most common image “Cosplay” brings to mind, I did dress up and the most skilled costumers do try to exactly reproduce clothes from drawings in various formats. However, unlike anime, extant or historical garments do exist from as far back as 20K years.

What was your first cosplay?

My first Cosplay, as most of your readers would recognize it, was the Baroness from C.O.B.R.A. I made it in 2012.



My first costume from historical evidence was a particolor cotehardie from the Lutrell Psalter, circa 1320. (http://www.bl.uk/collections/treasures/luttrell/luttrell_broadband.htm)

Do you make your cosplays, buy them pre-made online, or have them commissioned?: 

I make my own clothes but for the Baroness, I have never worked in the PVC material. I looked it up and discovered it to be very persnickety. So, I bought a PVC body suit and fitted it. The cost was $25 for the body suit so I felt like I could afford to screw it up.

Why do you cosplay?:

I love taking something from a concept to real garment that can be thrown in the washer after a long trip.

What is you favorite part about cosplay?:

The creation of something from 2D to 3D. Having a concept become a living garment designed to enhance the very best of the wearer is GREAT!

What is your least favorite part?:

Armscyes, that part where the sleeve attaches to the rest of the torso. I try to make sure that has appropriate range of movement but I frequently end up with something a little less than what I would prefer.

Who is your favorite character to cosplay?:

It’s hard to pinpoint. I’m more genre oriented. I like the innovation of Steampunk because you don’t have the pigeonhole of reproduction constraints. I don’t have to EXACTLY recreate something because Steampunk has a fantasy element that is inherently undefined.

Photo by Andrea Frederick Photography

What is your favorite cosplay to wear?:


Hmm… Probably the black Hungarian pirate stuff.

Photo by Red Zone Fandom

What is your least favorite cosplay to wear?:


Probably the Baroness, and I love that piece. It’s easy to wear and comfortable. The only problem with it is you can’t hide heavy thighs in that thing!

What was the most complicated cosplay you’ve worked on?


My armor from my SCA days. It had to handle a blow from rattan at 25 MPH and still be something I could run in across a broken field in the desert.

What was the least complicated?


A purple and white off-the-shoulder cotehardie with silver maple leaves cascading down the front. I loved that thing. Cotehardies are fantastic because they are simple, elegant and look pretty on nearly everyone.

What group cosplays have you been a part of?:


Steampunk, GI Joe, endless period pieces.



What group cosplays would like to be part of?:


Star Wars!

Female Han Solo

Who are some characters you plan to cosplay in the future?



Mara Jade Skywalker, from Star Wars. Something from Grimm. Something from Once Upon A Time.

What crossplay characters have you done or would like to do?


Oh, hmm… I really haven’t done crossplays. I DO make a lot of men’s clothes though.

Who is a character people say you should cosplay, but you aren’t sure about?:


I’ve been asked to do Jessica Rabbit and I’ve done it before when I didn’t have a bust size to this extreme. Now, physics makes it nearly impossible. Yes, I’m built more like her now, but the Logistics of the costume? Maybe as a swimsuit because either water or space is the closest thing to weightlessness I can do.



Photo by Red Zone Fandom

What is your dream cosplay?:


I want to make a peacock coat. I’m going to do the couching of the entire thing so the feathers are done in multiple colors of craft cord, with the sleeves being the wings and the bodice part being pinfeathers.

What is a cosplay you would love to do, but don’t feel you could pull off?:


Sesshomaru from Inuyasha. I have seen him done a lot, nearly every time by a woman. I’m not pretty enough to be a boy in anime.

In your opinion, what makes a great cosplay?


Wearability. If it can’t be worn all day with no problem, then you need to re-work it.


At which conventions are we likely to see you?


Any of the Boise conventions and this March, I’m in Denver and Wisconsin. My spring schedule will be online at www.fjpublishing.com.

Any advice to other cosplayers?


Keep in mind that you need to live in this outfit for at least 16-24 hours in a row. If you can’t eat, drink, move, sit and use the bathroom, this is a failed Cosplay. Plan ahead for that sort of thing. Most Cosplay can be broken into enough pieces subtly to enable you to do that without wrecking the Cosplay.

What are some other hobbies you have, other than cosplaying?:


I write books and help others get their books published. That pretty much eats up all my time when I’m not at a con.



Favorite anime/tv shows?:


Inuyasha, Bleach, CSI:Anywhere, Criminal Minds, Scrubs, Anything by Joss Whedon.

Favorite movie?:


Jaws. The Alien franchise.

Favorite books/manga?:


The King’s Blades novels by Dave Duncan, the Harry Dresden novels by Jim Butcher, Harry Potter, and, of course, Jaws.

Favorite video games?:


The Baldur’s Gate franchise.

Aaand we have to end with a silly one. I'm sad I missed whatever was going on here.
Photo by Andrea Frederick Photography

Favorite color?: 


Purple!

Favorite food?:


Pumpkin sausage soup with mushrooms.

Favorite desert?:


Cake. We even have a special day for cake.

Favorite curse word?


Gorram

What are some websites where we can see more of you?






She's so awesome! I have so much respect for her skill and experience. I hope one day I can be as talented as her. She is one of my cosplay role models! And I'd also like to point out that she's been costuming for as long as I've been alive. That's awesome. I want to grow up to be Tangle!

So next week will be her cosplay showcase! Be sure to come back and check it out!

Love,
Edward





1 comment:

  1. I remember meeting her at Anime Oasis last year! She's such a sweetheart! Her costumes are always amazing as well. I'll have to give some of her books a read and maybe talk to her about the publishing industry. It would be awesome to get some advice and insight from her.

    Great questions! I like these interview posts.

    ReplyDelete