chibisaurus

Monday, January 7, 2013

Cosplay Showcase: Edward Insane as Alice

Sorry about the delayed post. It snowed a whole bunch in my neck of the woods and it messed up my internet. It's been flaking in and out. But it seems to be working finally!


So I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to blog about this week. I didn't really want to do an update post, since I've done two in a row already. Besides, I don't have any different or exciting news.


But I've decided I want to do a cosplay showcase on my 'Alice in Wonderland' costume.

I'm feeling very "into" 'Alice in Wonderland' lately. It's one of my favorite things ever. I love the book and the Disney movie. (I haven't seen a live action movie version that I like yet, but if you'd like to recommend one, I'd love to hear it in the comments.) I love anything Wonderland themed. I identify with Alice a lot, especially lately. The feeling of wanting to go to my own world, where things are however I imagine them to be, is very relevant to me at the moment. I also love the books because they are just how my dreams are. Things that are so strange and constantly changing, but the characters within the story don't even notice. There is a kind of logic to it, all be it mad logic. Babies changing into pigs, crazy/scary characters, and talking animals; Those are all the types of things in my dreams. Always flowing and changing, and stories morphing into other stories. It's the only thing I've found that accurately represents the dream world for me. And maybe that's why a lot of people don't like it? Perhaps it's too accurate. Or perhaps their dreams aren't like that. I dunno.

So, anyway, I'm in a very "Alicey" mood. Haha.

I'm cute. XD
Photo by James Wells

Another reason I wanted to do a showcase on my Alice cosplay, is because I just adore these photos. I simply love the dreamy quality of them. It feels like I'm in wonderland! My brother in law James Wells did them for me. The shoot was really fun! We went to a local park and wondered around some rose beds. (Which I was surprised there were still roses on them, since we did the shoot in October!) We were kind of flying by the seat of our pants, not knowing if the lighting was going to work and thinking up poses on the spot. It had actually been raining all weekend, but the sun came out just in time for our perfect lighting! I had a great time and will cherish those memories! I would love to do more Alice photos soon; but this time, an indoor shoot with tea cups and cards and stuff. This first shoot I wasn't totally prepared. But next time, I'll be ready!

Zzzzzz.
Photo by James Wells

I actually made this cosplay years ago, for a Halloween party. My husband was dressed as the Mad Hatter (I made his costume too, but I won't share it with you all, because I'm embarrassed.) It was one of my first dresses. Needless to say, it's a little sloppy. Lots of things about this dress bother me. But it was one of my very first attempts, and one of my first times using a pattern, so I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

Gee, I wonder what's down here?
Photo by James Wells

I based my design more off of the book and it's slightly more of a "how I imagine her" design. The original John Tenniel drawings show her in several different ways, so I kind of picked and chose the things I liked. Haha. In some of the illustrations it shows her having no collar and striped socks. So that's what I went with. I had to adjust the sleeves from the pattern because they were way to long and not cute enough for my purposes. My wig for this cosplay is quit long, but I didn't want to cut it as I use the same wig for my Aurora/Briar Rose cosplay.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Photo by James Wells

My version is not accurate to the Disney version of Alice and I have thought about changing it to more accurately portray her. All I'd need is some white tights, bloomers, a collar, and a shorter wig. Which is all fine with me, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. So for now, this is a "mostly based on the book but with my own interpretation" version. lol. Either way I really like it and it's really fun to wear.

Did that flower just fucking talk to me??
Photo by James Wells
My favorite thing about this cosplay is that it's SO comfy. I can hang out in it all day. And I have. Sometimes I just put it on at home when want to look pretty. Lol. (My husband can testify to this.) My other favorite thing is just that it's Alice! I love her so much and really identify with her in a lot of ways. It's so fun to be her, and I can't wait to wear this cosplay to conventions.

I'll teach you to call me a weed, ya bastard!
Photo by James Wells

My least favorite thing about this cosplay is the construction. I know I was just a beginner when I made it, but it still really irritates me. I did go through and fix some of it. I redid the bottom hem (It was ugly ) and took out some of the basting stitches around the waist, that I forgot to take out when I made it. The zipper is...... well, apart from taking it out and completely redoing it, there is really no hope. Thankfully my long wig covers it. (Zippers and I are still working on our relationship in general.) The sleeves still need a bit of work. I took apart parts of the apron and redid them. I'm thinking I might redo the shoulder bits again, and make them rufflier. Pretty much, it's just going to be lots of fiddly work until I get this cosplay how I want it.

My favorite.
Photo by James Wells

All in all, I really love this cosplay. It's probably my second favorite one to wear (after Sailor Moon of course). Even though it still needs a little work, it's fun to wear and I just love 'Alice in Wonderland' like crazy.

And I can't end a cosplay showcase without a derp picture. XD My face is awesome in this.
Photo by the Mad Hatter James Wells

I hope you all enjoyed this edition of Cosplay Showcase. I'm still coordinating with my next guest cosplayer for the next interview and showcase. So hopefully I'll have that all worked out by next week and will post them. ^_^



Love,
Edward


2 comments: