chibisaurus

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Cosplayer Interview: Samantha Witt


Wow... I am so lame... I don't even have an excuse this time. I just totally forgot.So I'd best get on with it before it's Friday!

I think today I will do a cosplayer interview!

Today our guest is Samantha! I don't know her super well, but I have spoken to her a few times and do know her cosplays! I've also been to her panel about body image and cosplay, which was very emotional and really great! I highly suggest everyone attend it if she does another similar panel! I have so much respect for her skills as a seamstress and cosplayer. She is one of my cosplaying role models!


Your name or Cosplay Name:

Samantha Witt

Photo By Carol Witt


Age: 25 

How long have you been cosplaying? About 5 years. 

What was your first cosplay?

 Tifa Lockheart from Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children.


Tifa Lockheart FF7
Photo by either Stephanie Obele or James Kelley

Do you make your cosplays, buy them pre-made online, or have them commissioned? 

I used to order them off line but after a bad experience I started to teach myself to sew. Except for things like shoes and wigs and sometimes jewelry I now make all my own stuff. 

Why do you cosplay? 

When I first started to cosplay it was an escape from my previous husband. It was a way for me to get out and experience something I was actually passionate about and it gave me a sense of belonging and acceptance. Besides that it was all around just fun!

Steampunk Witch Doctor OC
Photo by Tim Boothby

What is you favorite part about cosplay? 

The costuming and interaction with other people. Cosplay really helped me come out of my shell and embrace my true personality. I love the attention when I am in costume! 

What is your least favorite part? 

The bloody drama! I dislike not only that but also the unhealthy popularity contest that cosplay is somewhat devolving into and the unnecessary negativity towards cosplayers and their body types.   

Who is your favorite character to cosplay?
Personally I like wearing my own original character creations the most but if I have to pick a character I love wearing Seras Victoria the most. 

Seras Victoria- Hellsing OVA
Photo by Kyle Duckwits

What is your favorite cosplay to wear? 

I love my AT-AT the most. It's tiring and not always so coordinated to walk in but it makes people smile the most so it's worth it. 

What is your least favorite cosplay to wear?

Subaru from .Hack/Sign. Don't get me wrong I like the cosplay and it is very pretty but oh my god it is such a bitch to get into and walk around in. It is only rare times I will wear it. 

AT-AT Walker- Star Wars
Photo by Tim Boothby
What was the most complicated cosplay you’ve worked on? 

It is a mix of AT-AT, Subaru and Glados. All were complicated and the top and sleeves of Subaru cause many fits of crying. 


What was the least complicated? 

Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians. 

What group cosplays have you been a part of? 

None, never been invited to one. 

What group cosplays would like to be part of? 

I am up for almost any group as long as I get enough time to actually make something for it.

Who are some characters you plan to cosplay in the future? 

My next character cosplay will be Christie from Dead or Alive and I'll have that for Fandom 2013. The next OC I want to do is a Steampunk Satyr. 

Military Punk OC
Photo by Tim Boothby

What crossplay characters have you done or would like to do? 

I have cosplayed Jack Frost and the next one I am thinking is either Merle or Daryl from the Walking Dead. >W<


Jack Frost- Rise of the Gaurdians
Photo by Tim Boothby

Who is a character people say you should cosplay, but you aren’t sure about? 

I've had suggestions to do characters from Ah My Goddess, Catwoman from Batman and a few others. I consider the suggestion but most of the time I won't do it. I have to feel some passion for the character to take on the job of creating it. 

What is your dream cosplay? 

Alduin from Skyrim. It would be a quadsuit of epicness! 

What is a cosplay you would love to do, but don’t feel you could pull off?

Pocahontas. I don't feel like any amount of spray tan or make-up would let me do this character justice. 

In your opinion, what makes a great cosplay? 

Sincere effort in your work.   


Emma Ai- Hell Girl
(Pppsst- I call this sincere effort! ^_^ ~ Edward)

At which conventions are we likely to see you? 

Anime Oasis, Tomodachi Fest, Fandomonium, FurIdaho, Anime Banzai, Anime Vegas and hopefully one day I'll get up to Sakura con. 

Any advice to other cosplayers?

If you're new to the fandom stay out of any and all drama if you can. If you are new to making anything just remember you are going to make crap you'll want to burn with fire but if you keep at it and not quit when it gets hard you'll eventually become that well-making cosplaying person that everyone will like and admire. I've been there and I know other people who are there right now. Also remember and hold it to your heart that cosplay to the very core is supposed to be FUN! It's not about being the most popular, the sexiest, the skinniest, or who can get the most pictures taken. It’s all about having fun and expressing yourself so don't take it too seriously and ignore the con snobs! Keep this in mind: Beauty fades but dumb is forever.

What are some other hobbies you have, other than cosplaying?

I enjoy video games and nature. I love to go to the park and swing. I like making dresses (not for cosplay).

Favorite anime/tv shows? I adore Hell Girl but right now I love Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. 

Favorite movie? Too many to count

Favorite books/manga? I love The Stand by Stephen King and Jurassic Park by Micheal Crichton. I don't read manga. 

Favorite video games? God of War series is my ultimate favorite followed by the Final Fantasy series. 

Favorite color? Purple

Favorite food? Pot Roast with gravy and potatoes. 

Favorite desert? Anything with cookies dough.

Favorite curse word? Son of a dick! 

What are some websites where we can see more of you? I have a Facebook page and a DA page.



WHAT WHAT WHAAAT IS THIS ABOUT NOT BEING INVITED TO A GROUP?!?! This must be changed. I have decreed it! 
Also... I'd like to note, that I too have a deep love for pot roast with gravy and potatoes.

Anyway! She's awesome! And I suggest you all go check out her other pages because these photos are just a small snippet of her amazing work!

Next week will be her showcase! So come check it out, cus it's a good one!!


~Edward

P.S. I'd like to say, I am so happy that my emoticons are working again. How I missed them!






1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing the AT-AT last year at AO and I was BLOWN AWAY! Great job, though I can't imagine how big of a pain it'd be to walk around in that thing..

    ReplyDelete